The alternative title for this post was “Hey, I made my boyfriend an ottoman for Christmas,” but the above seemed more concise. Do you remember back in late December when I was full of woe over my last minute DIY Christmas gifts? Well, yes, I made two ottomans. One for my mom, which I posted about here, and one for my boyfriend, which is shown below.
Prior to my little project, J didn’t have a coffee table. We would snuggle on the sofa and battle for coveted foot space on a spare stool. Pretty pathetic. He had an old, beat up Klubbo coffee table stored in a spare bedroom, so I stole it and gave it a makeover.
The Klubbo is an odd table. At 10-1/2″ high, its really too low to be a coffee table, but it’s the perfect base for an ottoman. The first thing I did was spray paint the base. I used an oil-rubbed bronze finish. I like that it reads black, but has a little extra dimension.
I knew I needed to pick a practical material that wouldn’t show wear from shoes and spilled drinks (why are boys so messy?) I picked out a camel colored vinyl down on 4th Street and went to task upholstering. The corners proved to be quite tricky. Since the fabric was so thick and stiff, I couldn’t wrap the corners. Luckily my sister, Meg, stepped in and help me pin and sew the corners. I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out.
*** CONSTRUCTION UPDATE ***
To sew the corners, this is what we did: We pinned them in place, took the vinyl off the ottomans, marked the inside while the pins were in place, turned it inside out and sewed it. We then placed the vinyl back on the ottoman, made sure the corners were nice and snug, snipped away any excess vinyl on the inside, and then stapled away.
I used a welt (cording) in the same fabric to hide any gaps between the frame and the upholstered portion. It also gives it a nice finished look.
The look I was going for was streamlined, chic and masculine. It’s all about the layers in this space. It’s certainly more neutral than my place. I do intend to sneak in more pattern, though. (Tehehe.)
I also didn’t go overboard styling the ottoman. As much as I wanted to dress it up with design books and trinkets, it just didn’t seem real. In actuality, it’s usually covered with grad school books!
Real camel leather would have been delicious, but I’m pretty happy with the vinyl as an inexpensive alternative. I’d like to think that the ottoman looks more expensive than it was to make (under $200.) This won’t be a forever piece, but it’s doing a nice job for now. PS- I just picked up that tray from West Elm this weekend.
So that’s my latest DIY. I don’t know why it took me so long to photograph it. I didn’t get a chance to snap photos of GirlyGlam bath Friday afternoon, so I will do that today. Look for bathroom updates tomorrow!