I’ve been tinkering with my favorite Ikea cabinet again
. I thought the two Rast cabinets fit so nicely into into my TV nook
, but the style and color were all wrong. So I bought a new set. Crazy? Maybe, but at $30 a pop, I can afford to get my hack on
Obviously my version is less ornate than my inspiration cabinet. I decided I wanted it cleaner with just a hint of decorative brassy bling. I’m pumped about them in my nook- they are interesting but not over the top. Plus, the black lacquer is the perfect base for a space that used to seem top-heavy.
Of course my favorite part is the hardware. The Asian pulls symbolize “long and wealthy life.” That’s pretty cool plus I think they are stylin’. And I like how the corner brackets finish off the drawers with an exclamation point!
- 1 quart black high gloss paint- I used Valspar Gloss Black
(Thanks to Susie for sharing the hardware source with me!)
- prime un-assembled Rast cabinets
- 1st coat paint
- sand again
- 2nd coat paint
- sand some more (the trick to lacquered pieces is the wood grain should show through as little as possible)
- 3rd coat paint
- assemble cabinets (don’t add drawers)
- add hardware. I glued my corner brackets instead of screwing them in. The screws stopped the drawers from closing.
- install Drawers
- Pat yourself on the back.
UPDATE- FALL 2011
How I use it now…
A television console
Thanks again for all the love!
As i mentioned in this post…
… my carpenter, Angelo, built me the component topper out of plywood. It’s essentially 5 pieces- a top and bottom, two edges and a middle divider. I painted it and added hardware to match my rasts.